New Atlanta announces free open source BlueDragon edition
03/13/08 1:22 PM
(This is a reprint of a blog entry from earlier this week:
I'd like to use this forum to answer questions and continue the discussion started by that blog post.)
New Atlanta has announced plans to release a free open source edition of BlueDragon; there's a press release and FAQ on our web site. Here's a summary:
- The BlueDragon/J2EE edition will be released under the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2). This is the same license used by Sun for the OpenJDK, their open source edition of the Java platform.
- The free open source edition of BlueDragon/J2EE will be fully featured, with only minor differences to remove dependencies on commercial libraries. The open source edition of BlueDragon/J2EE will be integrated, packaged, and distributed with other open source software such as Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, MySQL, Java (OpenJDK), and Linux.
- We will continue to develop, support, and market a commercial edition of BlueDragon/J2EE under a dual-licensing model such as that used by MySQL. We are reviewing our pricing model for the commercial edition of BlueDragon/J2EE and will announce any changes in the next few weeks.
- The BlueDragon.NET and BlueDragon Server JX editions are not being released as open source and will continue to be developed, supported, and marketed as commercial products. We are not planning any changes to the pricing models for these commercial products.
- The current free (but not open source) BlueDragon Server edition will be discontinued when the open source BlueDragon/J2EE edition is released.
- The first public "code drop" of the free open source BlueDragon/J2EE edition will happen prior to the CFUNITED-08 conference in June 2008.
In order to make the free open source edition of BlueDragon/J2EE a "community" project as much as possible, we're planning to form a steering committee to help guide future development. Let me know if you're interested in participating in this steering committee. Also, we're planning a Birds-of-a-Feature (BOF) session at CFUNITED-08, which may evolve into the first meeting of the steering committee; stay tuned for more info.
Vince Bonfanti, New Atlanta