Migration Solutions for ColdFusion Applications to ASP.NET

New Atlanta Product Forums Profile | Search | Login | RSS
New Topic Reply   Previous Page  Page: 1   Next Page

Thread: Where to suggest features/new tags?
Created on: 03/25/08 04:27 PM Replies: 7
Craig328

Where to suggest features/new tags?
03/25/08 4:27 PM

Hi all:

I asked a question over on one of the other forums with regard to CFIMAGE and Paul B. suggested I forward my ideas to the opensource committee. Is this da place? :)

Anyway, if it is, I asked if there was a way to specify the font used by the CFIMAGE tag when you specify the text attribute. I was told there was not a way currently but that such might be a good enhancement to the tag.

Also, I asked about a captcha attribute for the CFIMAGE tag and Paul suggested that I propose a captcha tag to the opensource committee...so I'm doing so (if this is the place for it).

Also, in my reading on how this opensource project is rolling out, am I to understand that .NET (aka: commercial) versions of BD will lag behind the opensource version? That is, will all new features that find their way into commercial versions go through the opensource process first? I ask about that as there are some nice .NET-only features that I like and I wonder about how much .NET version development will occur if the focus for new features and such is centered on the J2EE opensource product. To be honest, I'm a little concerned about the prospects for future .NET versions of BD if most of the innovation will be happening on the J2EE platform.
Craig Heath
Link | Top | Bottom
alanblogcitycom

RE: Where to suggest features/new tags?
03/25/08 4:28 PM

Craig, the steering committee is nearly ready for business! Keep an eye on my blog for the latest announcements

http://alan.blog-city.com/
Alan Williamson, Blog-City Ltd
Link | Top | Bottom
paulbonfanti

03/26/08 9:45 AM

Don't worry, .NET specific work still is and will be done separately from the BD OpenSource project.
Paul Bonfanti, New Atlanta
Link | Top | Bottom
vinceb

03/26/08 11:00 AM

Also, in my reading on how this opensource project is rolling out, am I to understand that .NET (aka: commercial) versions of BD will lag behind the opensource version? That is, will all new features that find their way into commercial versions go through the opensource process first? I ask about that as there are some nice .NET-only features that I like and I wonder about how much .NET version development will occur if the focus for new features and such is centered on the J2EE opensource product. To be honest, I'm a little concerned about the prospects for future .NET versions of BD if most of the innovation will be happening on the J2EE platform.

Things aren't going to change all that much from the way we've done it in the past. Generally, we've implemented new CFML language features in Java first, then on .NET, so no change there. The only difference moving forward is that the initial development, previsouly done in private "behind closed doors," will now be done in public in the open source edition.

Of course, we will continue to develop .NET-specific features in parallel with, and separately from, the open source project.
Vince Bonfanti, New Atlanta
Link | Top | Bottom
Craig328

03/26/08 11:32 AM

May I ask then how does NA plan to pitch the value proposition for the commercial product over the opensource version?
Craig Heath
Link | Top | Bottom
vinceb

03/26/08 1:41 PM

May I ask then how does NA plan to pitch the value proposition for the commercial product over the opensource version?

Sure. If you're using BD.NET, then the benefits of performance, reliability, and integration with the Microsoft platform (Windows, IIS, ASP.NET, SQL Server, etc.) should be obvious.

If you're a Java-based shop, then the benefits of the commercial editions are:

1) The commercial editions are tested and supported by New Atlanta, but the open source edition is not.

2) BD Server JX provides of fully integrated, standalone server package including a built-in servlet container (ServletExec) and JDBC driver for Microsoft SQL Server (JTurbo) based on commercial products developed, tested, and supported by New Atlanta.

3) VAR/OEM customers who want to redistribute BD with their CFML applications will require a commercial license if they don't want to release their CFML source code under the GPL (as is required by the GPL when creating derivative products based on open source BD).

Of course, the above benefits also apply to BD.NET, in addition to its unique benefits.
Vince Bonfanti, New Atlanta
Link | Top | Bottom
Craig328

03/26/08 2:54 PM

/me bookmarks this thread. :)

Thanks Vince. I do some contract work here and there and one of the people I tried to interest in BlueDragon some time back emailed me a few days ago and asked, essentially, "what's up with that?" (referring to the opensource announcement).

I anticipate needing to answer questions as to what the considerations are for the various CF products on the market now. I have notions about the advantages between CF and "free technologies", CF and BD...and now I'll need some solid talking points about "free" CF versus "pay" CF (because that's the way most non-devs will see it).

BTW, you guys really need to push this link (http://www.newatlanta.com/products/bluedragon/open_source/faq.cfm) out in front where people can easily find it. I suspect the NewAtlanta site has seen a spike in traffic since the 12th with people curious as to what this and NA is all about...
Craig Heath
Link | Top | Bottom
larryclyons

04/02/08 9:36 AM

Hi,

One suggestion I have is to expose more of the current admin using the bluedragon admin cfc. That way developers can create their own admin interface.

regards,
larry

Larry C. Lyons
Web Analyst
American Type Culture Collection
http://www.atcc.org
-- The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do. - B. F. Skinner - --
Link | Top | Bottom

New Post
Please login to post a response.

company media information terms of use privacy policy contact us
This page was dynamically built on the BlueDragon CFML Engine