New Atlanta Product Forums Profile | Search | Login | RSS
New Topic Reply   Previous Page  Page: 1   Next Page

Thread: connection timeout
Created on: 06/15/09 10:28 AM Replies: 2
mattesunil1

connection timeout
06/15/09 10:28 AM

Hi,

We are using ServletExec V4.2 (ISAPI in process plugin) to deploy a servlet on microsoft IIS server. The servlet, a third party reporting tool works fine for a while and then we start seeing connection timeouts. The timeout problems disappear once we reload the "Web application" from the servlet administration utility on the server. This same setup has been installed on other servers and has been working without any issues. I would appreciate if anyone can throw some light on why this is happening.

Regards,
Sunil

ServletExec: V4.2 (ISAPI plugin)
JDK: JDK V 1.4.1_03 (currentVersion)
JRE: JRE V1.4.1_03, JRE V1.5.0_18 (currentVersion)
Windows Server 2003
IIS Version 6.0

Snippet of the error from servletExec log files:
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forwardServlet(SERequestDispatcher.java:274)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forward(SERequestDispatcher.java:191)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.processApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.java:1390)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServerHostInfo.processApplRequest(ServerHostInfo.java:1243)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1235)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1113)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:434)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:384)
Link | Top | Bottom
mattm

RE: connection timeout
06/15/09 10:59 AM

Sunil,

The first issue I see is that you are running ServletExec 4.2 on an unsupported version of Windows.
SE 4.2 does not support Windows 2003.

While it may be possible to point to other Win 2003 systems that seem to successfully run SE 4.2, please understand that those systems are time bombs which could fail in any of several different ways at any moment, for seemingly unknown reasons.

SE 4.x on Win 2003 is not supported, not tested, unstable, and certainly not recommended.
SE 4.2 supports Win NT & Win 2000.
Please see:
http://www.newatlanta.com/products/servletexec/product_info/system_requirements.jsp#SE4-ISAPI

The 2nd inssue I see is that you are running the ISAPI configuration of SE on IIS 6.
As of Feb. 2009 SE ISAPI (no matter what version... 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x) no longer supports IIS 6 or higher.
For details about that please see:
http://www.newatlanta.com/c/support/servletexec/self_help/faq/detail?faqId=364
(that entire FAQ, but especially point #4)

My best recommendation for you is to:

1. Stop the IIS Admin Service
2. Uninstall SE 4.2 ISAPI
3. Install SE 6.0 AS
4. Deploy your Servlet/JSP Application(s) onto SE 6.0 AS.

If you require assistance performing any of those tasks please send email to support@servletexec.com

Sincerely,

Matt McGinty
Software Engineer
NAC

PS
It is entirely possible that you will still encounter this same issue even after switching from SE ISAPI to SE AS, but at least then you will be running on a supported platform and will have significantly narrowed down the possible causes of the problem.
Matt McGinty, New Atlanta Technical Support
Link | Top | Bottom
mattesunil1

RE: connection timeout
06/18/09 10:47 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your prompt and in-depth response.The "ServletExec" came bundled with the reporting solution we have and I was never aware of the compatibility requirements. I will take it back to my team and consider our options.

Thanks
Sunil
Link | Top | Bottom

New Post
Please login to post a response.

company media information terms of use privacy policy contact us
This page was dynamically built on the BlueDragon CFML Engine