New Atlanta Product Forums Profile | Search | Login | RSS
New Topic Reply   Previous Page  Page: 1   Next Page

Thread: Dual License Clarification
Created on: 03/13/08 01:49 PM Replies: 5
utdream

Dual License Clarification
03/13/08 1:49 PM

Hi Guys,

I've been talking about this with folks in the CF Community and I guess I just need some clarification on how you intend to approach your Dual Licensing model with the open-source version of BD.

I'm coming at this with a long history of folks asking me about BD Free Edition, so I'm hoping folks will forgive me if this seems like a silly question.

In Vince's blog here:
http://blog.newatlanta.com/

He mentions that BD J2EE will be released under a Dual Licensing Model. To me, this indicates that BD J2EE will have some stipulations on how it can be used that are outside the GPL based on how it's used.

However, in Alan's blog here:
http://alan.blog-city.com/bluedragon_open_source.htm

He indicates that folks will be able to use BD J2EE in the same way that PHP is used. For me, this doesn't jive with the "Dual License" comment.

So... my question is this: When Vince mentions "Dual License", are you saying that there will be more then one license applicable to BD J2EE based on how it's used? Or are you just saying that BD J2EE will be released under one license, and other BD products will be released under another license? (Thereby creating the "Dual License" you're referring to.)

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. =)

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies
Jordan Michaels, Vivio Technologies Inc.
Link | Top | Bottom
alanblogcitycom

RE: Dual License Clarification
03/13/08 1:56 PM

Jordan, i said it will be used in much the same as "MySQL"; not PHP. I am not familiar with how PHP handles licenses at this precise moment.

MySQL successfully operates a dual-license that gives everyone the freedom they need to do.

If you need to protect your IP, then you purchase a commercial license, thus ensuring you don't have to release your product source if you want to ship BlueDragon with your offering.

The license wil be GPL
Alan Williamson, Blog-City Ltd
Link | Top | Bottom
utdream

03/13/08 2:00 PM

Sorry, you're right. You did say that. My apologies for the mis-quote.
Link | Top | Bottom
vinceb

03/13/08 2:01 PM

Hi Jordan,

"Dual license" means that BD will be available under two different licenses, and that you as the customer can choose which license you want to use based on your needs.

The open source license is planned to be plain vanilla GPLv2 without any modifictions (I've been asked about the "Classpath Exception" used by OpenJDK and want to do some research before giving a final answer on that). To cut to the chase: yes, hosting companies will be able to use the open source BD edition.

The commercial license will be available to anyone for whom the open source GPLv2 license is inappropriate. This would include, for example, people who want a VAR/OEM license to allow them to redistribute BD with their application, or large enterprises who want to purchase 24/7 support contracts (we won't offer support contracts for the open source edition of BD, only the commercial editions).

The business model we're following is based on that used by MySQL. Here's how they describe the differences between their Community (open source license) and Enterprise (commercial license) editions:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

Our decision to create a free open source edition of BlueDragon was very heavily influenced by the success MySQL, a success we hope to emulate.
Vince Bonfanti, New Atlanta
Link | Top | Bottom
alanblogcitycom

03/13/08 2:04 PM

No problems Jordan.

We understand this can be confusing at first blush. Its a whole new world for the CFML community.

Vince points towards the MySQL model that we are following here. So all the Q&A they have on their license types will pretty much apply here.

We just haven't compiled all the resources yet that will allow you to make the right informed decision.
Alan Williamson, Blog-City Ltd
Link | Top | Bottom
utdream

03/13/08 2:09 PM

Alright, so it will be the same product, just released under two different licenses based on whether a client pays for it or not. This does indeed make sense.

Hard to believe - since I've been using MySQL ever since... well ever since I can remember and I've never actually reviewed it's license. It was made clear to me at one point that I could use it for whatever I needed to and I just ran with that ever since.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain this. I think I get it now. ;)

This is awesome!
Link | Top | Bottom

New Post
Please login to post a response.

company media information terms of use privacy policy contact us
This page was dynamically built on the BlueDragon CFML Engine